location6160 Warren Pwky, Suite 100, Frisco, TX 75034
Call for a Free Consultation


What to do If Your Ex is Accusing You of Family Violence

Posted on in Family Law

Collin County Order of Protection AttorneyFamily violence or domestic violence is a very legitimate problem in Texas. Unfortunately, some people abuse the legal system by making false accusations of family violence. Whether you are going through a divorce, child custody dispute, or other family law matter, being accused of family violence can have a major impact on your case. The best thing to do when you find out you have been accused of child abuse, domestic assault, or another form of family violence is to contact a skilled family law attorney for personalized legal guidance.

Do Not Speak to or Visit the Person Accusing You of Family Violence

Being accused of something as heinous as child abuse or domestic violence is understandably shocking. If a current or former romantic partner, family member, or housemate has accused you of harming them or their children, you may be eager to defend yourself. You may want to confront the accuser and set the record straight. However, confronting the accuser is one of the worst things you can do in a situation like this.

Follow The Terms of The Protective Order

Most accusations of family violence involve a protective order. A protective order is a court order that legally prohibits you from taking certain actions. Most protective orders require the subject of the order to stay away from the accuser and refrain from contacting them. Something as simple as a phone call may technically be a violation of a protective order. Do not call, text, or otherwise contact the person accusing you of family violence. Stay away from the accuser’s home, school, and workplace. You may need to temporarily move out of your home or forgo seeing your children for a short period of time in order to comply with the protective order. Following a protective order that is based on false accusations can be infuriating, but doing so is the best way to avoid further criminal charges or worsening your chances of a favorable outcome in your case. 

Work With an Experienced Lawyer

If you were accused of family violence in the middle of a family law case such as a divorce, you need an attorney experienced in family law and family violence cases. A knowledgeable attorney can protect your rights and ensure that you do not worsen the situation.

Contact a Frisco, Texas Family Law Attorney

If you have been accused of domestic violence, contact Collin County family violence lawyer Philip Woods Moore, Jr. for help. Mr. Moore can advise you of your rights and legal options and then determine the best course of action moving forward. Call 972-954-6455 for a free, confidential consultation to learn more.




Back to Top