972-954-6455 to arrange a free consultation." /> Family Law
location6160 Warren Pwky, Suite 100, Frisco, TX 75034
Call for a Free Consultation


North Texas Paternity AttorneyIn Texas, when a child is born to unmarried parents, a father’s right to be involved in the child’s life is not guaranteed. If you are a father who wants custody of your children, you will need to ensure that you take the proper steps to establish legal paternity. However, there is more than one way to be recognized as a child’s legal parent, and it is important that you understand the method that is most appropriate for your situation.

Presumptions of Paternity in Texas

According to Texas law, a man is presumed to be the legal father of a child when he was previously married to the mother, and the marriage ended within 300 days of the child’s birth. If your child was born soon after your divorce from the mother, you may not need to take further action to establish paternity. However, a presumption of paternity is rebuttable if, for example, another man purports to be the biological father. It may be a good idea to consult with an attorney to see if you need to take further steps to protect your rights as a father.

Voluntary Acknowledgement of Paternity

If you have no past or present marital relationship with your child’s mother, the most straightforward way to establish paternity is by completing an Acknowledgement of Paternity (AOP) form. These forms are typically available at the hospital to fill out upon a child’s birth, and they are also accessible through various entities certified by the Texas Office of the Attorney General. Both you and the child’s mother must sign the AOP for it to take effect.

Back to Top