The Law Office of Philip W. Moore, Jr. is merging with Pfister Family Law

location6160 Warren Pwky, Suite 100, Frisco, TX 75034
Call to schedule your initial Consultation


How Is Child Support Determined in Texas?

Posted on April 10, 2023 in Child Support

North Texas Family Law AttorneyEvery parent has a legal duty to provide the resources needed to ensure their child is taken care of, including food, clothing, and shelter. Even if the child does not live with the parent, they still must meet that legal duty. Child support is an obligation that every non-custodial parent in Texas is required to pay. It can also become one of the most contentious topics between co-parents. It is not uncommon for the parent who is been ordered to pay the support (the obligor) to resent handing over money to their ex-spouse or partner (the obligee), often losing sight of the fact that the money ultimately is going to the care of their child and not to support their ex.

The following is a brief overview of child support in Texas. If you have specific questions or concerns, a child support attorney can help.

How Do Texas Courts Calculate Child Support?

Child support in Texas is calculated based on a percentage of the obligor’s monthly net income and is broken down as follows:

  • One child – 20 percent

  • Two children – 25 percent

  • Three children – 30 percent

  • Four children – 35 percent

  • Five children – 40 percent

  • Six or more children – no less than 40 percent

There are also guidelines for those parents whose net income falls below $1,000 per month. In these situations, the breakdown is 5 percent less than the figures provided above, i.e., one child would be 15 percent of the parent’s net income.

Can My Ex and I Just Make Our Own Agreement?

Parents who have a good relationship after they break up sometimes think that it is not necessary to get the courts involved and think that coming up with their own custody and child support agreement is sufficient.

But as many family law attorneys can attest, even the friendliest of relationships can quickly turn over even the most minor issues and without a legal court order, there is no way to legally force the other parent to pay their fair share of child support.

It is also important to understand that once the court does issue an order, it cannot be changed without the court’s approval. Parents cannot just make changes between themselves. If they do, those changes are not enforceable should issues arise down the road.

Let a Collin County Family Lawyer Help

Whether you have gone through a divorce or are just ending a relationship with your child’s parent, it is important to have the court establish legal custody and child support obligations. Contact a dedicated Frisco, TX family law attorney to determine what the best legal option is for your situation. Call Law Office of Philip W. Moore, Jr. at 972-954-6455 to schedule a free and confidential consultation.



Back to Top