location6160 Warren Pwky, Suite 100, Frisco, TX 75034
Call for a Free Consultation


Collin County Order of Protection AttorneyFamily violence or domestic violence is a very legitimate problem in Texas. Unfortunately, some people abuse the legal system by making false accusations of family violence. Whether you are going through a divorce, child custody dispute, or other family law matter, being accused of family violence can have a major impact on your case. The best thing to do when you find out you have been accused of child abuse, domestic assault, or another form of family violence is to contact a skilled family law attorney for personalized legal guidance.

Do Not Speak to or Visit the Person Accusing You of Family Violence

Being accused of something as heinous as child abuse or domestic violence is understandably shocking. If a current or former romantic partner, family member, or housemate has accused you of harming them or their children, you may be eager to defend yourself. You may want to confront the accuser and set the record straight. However, confronting the accuser is one of the worst things you can do in a situation like this.

Follow The Terms of The Protective Order

Most accusations of family violence involve a protective order. A protective order is a court order that legally prohibits you from taking certain actions. Most protective orders require the subject of the order to stay away from the accuser and refrain from contacting them. Something as simple as a phone call may technically be a violation of a protective order. Do not call, text, or otherwise contact the person accusing you of family violence. Stay away from the accuser’s home, school, and workplace. You may need to temporarily move out of your home or forgo seeing your children for a short period of time in order to comply with the protective order. Following a protective order that is based on false accusations can be infuriating, but doing so is the best way to avoid further criminal charges or worsening your chances of a favorable outcome in your case. 


North Texas Paternity AttorneyIn Texas, when a child is born to unmarried parents, a father’s right to be involved in the child’s life is not guaranteed. If you are a father who wants custody of your children, you will need to ensure that you take the proper steps to establish legal paternity. However, there is more than one way to be recognized as a child’s legal parent, and it is important that you understand the method that is most appropriate for your situation.

Presumptions of Paternity in Texas

According to Texas law, a man is presumed to be the legal father of a child when he was previously married to the mother, and the marriage ended within 300 days of the child’s birth. If your child was born soon after your divorce from the mother, you may not need to take further action to establish paternity. However, a presumption of paternity is rebuttable if, for example, another man purports to be the biological father. It may be a good idea to consult with an attorney to see if you need to take further steps to protect your rights as a father.

Voluntary Acknowledgement of Paternity

If you have no past or present marital relationship with your child’s mother, the most straightforward way to establish paternity is by completing an Acknowledgement of Paternity (AOP) form. These forms are typically available at the hospital to fill out upon a child’s birth, and they are also accessible through various entities certified by the Texas Office of the Attorney General. Both you and the child’s mother must sign the AOP for it to take effect.

Back to Top